A biosphere reserve is a marque given by UNESCO, the United Nations' Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation, to provide international recognition to a specified area. There are 701 biosphere reserves in 124 countries and the Isle of Man is the only entire nation to be accredited as such.
This exciting project has three main aims:
Taking care of our amazing landscapes, wildlife, culture, heritage and communities, through everything from marine conservation to community clubs.
Improving our infrastructure and economy in ways that respect and support our unique environment. Buying local and minimising waste are just two examples.
Helping more people to understand what makes the Isle of Man so special and encouraging active involvement in keeping it that way.
As a biosphere partner ILS World aims to help celebrate our Island to the full and help make it an even better place to live, work and visit. Where appropriate we back initiatives supporting our prestigious UNESCO Biosphere status and some examples of what we already do or have done include:
• Replacing our office lighting to make it more energy efficient
• Restoring the HMS St George monument in our HQ grounds
• Using local suppliers for goods and services
• Championing a number of different local charities every year
• Supporting staff with their personal and individual charitable or environmental activities
• Provide staff with water bottles to reduce single use plastics.
ILS World Group Business Development Director, Richard MacNee said: "Our pledge to support the UNESCO Biosphere is ongoing and we are currently reviewing our recycling efforts, documentation processes as well as considering our partnerships and collaborations. We are encouraging all of our staff to get involved and to come up with ideas on how we can support the scheme."